Vaca Recap

As I said before, our trip to Florida was not quite the relaxing, wonderful trip I had hoped it would be. But as with all things that don't go perfectly, I did learn a lot. I can best sum up my trip in the lessons I learned.

- Take the extra time to do all the laundry, clean, and tidy before you go. It was so worth it coming home to a freshly made bed!

- If you are escaping to Florida from the icy cold north expecting nice warm 80* weather, you will be wrong. It will only be in the 50's and low 60's...with very high winds

- Staying in a place that only has 5 feet of concrete between the door and deep deep water will make for a very nervous Mommy...and a frustrated 15 month old who just wants to play outside.

- Your husband getting food poisoning the first day you get to Florida and lasting for over 48 hours really puts a damper on things...and makes you both decide to leave a day early.

- Watching cotton grow in fields on the side of the road is totally awesome

- As awesome as seeing a dolphin in the lagoon behind the house your staying in....only 5 feet away!

- The Holiday Inn has the most amazing complimentary, hot breakfast ever!

- Dairy Queen now makes Mini Blizzards!! Perfect size for me to share with Little M

- My daughter was made for long roadtrips. She was happy the whole time!

- Buy a portable DVD player for your car...this is probably the reason Little M was so good in the car!

- If you can afford it, spend the extra money on a suite if you are staying in a hotel with a toddler with a set bedtime. Instead of having to go to bed at 7:00 pm with Little M, Skip and I were able to shower, watch TV, and relax a but while she slept.

- If you had a miserable vacation, stretch out 22 hour ride home over 3 days instead of the 2 it took you to get down and do some fun things

- Stopping to visit some friends on our way home for lunch totally revived me.

- The National Museum of the Marine Corps is one of the coolest places I have ever been too, and was the highlight of our trip.

- If you and your husband don't agree on music, alternate cd's...it will save a lot arguing {fyi, we did this from the beginning so there was no fighting between us!}

- Stop at restaurants you don't have at home...adds to some fun to the trip!

- Meeting a former Marine who landed on the beaches of Iwo Jima is completely humbling

- Put all your dirty clothes in a garbage bag so you don't have to rewash everything when you get home

- I actually like roadtrips!

- It will take days to get the smell of old milk out of your car

- There is nothing I love more in the world that being stuck in a car for 44+ hours with my husband and daughter :)

ps...pictures to follow in the next post!

Comments

  1. Sage advice, my friend, sage advice.

    Although we stopped and washed our clothes in Florida before heading back so there was no pile of laundry. It made me very happy. I'm looking forward to the pictures! (Where did you go? We went to Sarasota.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more about cleaning the house before you leave, nothing better than coming home to a clean house when your exhausted! We separate the clean and dirty clothes too.

    Food poisoning on vacation sounds horrible. And I can't believe you drove 22 hours! WOW! I love that M did so great. Those DVD players really are miracle workers. I will never travel without them again.

    Even thought it sounds like it wasn't a perfect vacation it sounds like you had a good time! :) And that dolphin seriously just sounds amazing, I'm so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm from Florida too!! Where in Florida did you go? I'm soooo sorry about the terrible weather though...that's not like us, I swear!! But we've had a freaky winter, temps have been COLD! It's been ridiculous. Next time, tell me when you are coming and I'll have a chat with Mother Nature. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The State of my Marriage

30 Miles in 30 Days

Stay Jersey Strong