Running Advice
I have a question for all you runners out there {especially my big sis L since I know you have had these before!} I started running last spring {gasp} I'm not that great at it, but can do three miles pretty easily, albeit slow and pathetic looking.
Anyways, I didn't run all winter since I *hate* the cold and it was ridiculously snowy this year. I got back into it easier than I thought this spring. However the past few weeks my shins and ankle have been hurting. I had shin splints back in high school, and while they are not as bad as then, it's still decently painful. And I have no idea what's going on with my ankle.
So any advice on what I should do? I don't want to give up running for a while, because I really like it and it is so nice out. I've tried just doing interval running {three days ago I did a 4.2 mile run alternating running and walking ever .10 of a mile} but my shins still hurt even after that. Any advice would be welcome!
Anyways, I didn't run all winter since I *hate* the cold and it was ridiculously snowy this year. I got back into it easier than I thought this spring. However the past few weeks my shins and ankle have been hurting. I had shin splints back in high school, and while they are not as bad as then, it's still decently painful. And I have no idea what's going on with my ankle.
So any advice on what I should do? I don't want to give up running for a while, because I really like it and it is so nice out. I've tried just doing interval running {three days ago I did a 4.2 mile run alternating running and walking ever .10 of a mile} but my shins still hurt even after that. Any advice would be welcome!
You'll get shin spints and other pains if you haven't run for while. Change up your workout just a bit but keep the running in at least twice a week. I give your legs two weeks and I bet they will be gone. Always worked for me! :)
ReplyDeleteIf you want, get a BOSU. Training on that will keep all the little tiny helper muscles in your legs strong and getting back into running won't be so tough on the bod.
Keep up the good work!
Unfortunately, you do have to give up running for a bit - shin splints can lead to stress fractures, which are nasty, nasty things. Best advice - ice them on and off when they hurt, do stretches, like the Achilles wall stretch, and roll your calves. You might want to get a foam roller for that. Also, check out the blog post I wrote on that not too long ago - my friend, Jannah, who's a tri-athlete had some good advice in the comments section.
ReplyDeleteI get shin splints bad too! I had it bad in highschool. And my ankle bothers me too because I broke it 2 years ago and it just hasn't been the same since. I was always told to ice them, do something like biking or run on softer surface like grass or treadmill. anyway, let us know what you find out!
ReplyDeleteI had shin splints in high school from dancing on concrete. I haven't had them at all since I started running. I would suggest getting fitted for some good running shoes at a place that really knows running and you can let them know your shins and ankle are hurting and maybe they can give you inserts too.
ReplyDelete