Show Us Your Life - Baby Names
Today I'm participating in Kelly's Korner, Show Us Your Life. Today's topic is
Show Us Your Life - Your Kid's (or future kid's) names
Skip and I had been discussing baby names since we first got married. So when I got pregnant, we were pretty well set on names {or so we thought!} We weren't going to find out the sex of the baby, so we had to come up with both boy and girl names. Our last name is uber Italian, and so we said we wanted more European sounding first names to balance it out. We also wanted names that were traditional, but not too common.
For a girl we had already decided on Meredith. I have a friend named Meredith and have always loved the name. Thankfully Skip agreed 100%. {that was easy!}
For a boy we had always talked about naming him Keith {after my dad's dad}. And we were happy with that decision until I was about 6 months pregnant and began to change my mind. I still liked the name Keith a lot, but I just couldn't get the name Derek out of my head. It just seemed so perfect to me and really flowed well with our last night.
But here's the problem.....we were 100% going to name our daughter Meredith. Could we really name our son Derek? Could we really name our kids after the main characters on Grey's Anatomy?
So we decided that we would name the baby Meredith if she was a girl, and make a game time decision between Derek and Keith if it was a boy. Thankfully Little M was a girl and no decision had to be made!
Now, for future baby names..here's the problem....what if we have a boy next? I'm still back in that whole Grey's Anatomy conundrum. I still don't know what we'll do...either another game time decision, or maybe we should come up with another name entirely.
Or maybe we'll get lucky and have another girl, because we have another girl name all picked out. Charlotte Grace. I think it's beautiful, old-fashioned but making a come-back, and flows nicely with Meredith. I'll guess we'll just have to wait and see!
Show Us Your Life - Your Kid's (or future kid's) names
Skip and I had been discussing baby names since we first got married. So when I got pregnant, we were pretty well set on names {or so we thought!} We weren't going to find out the sex of the baby, so we had to come up with both boy and girl names. Our last name is uber Italian, and so we said we wanted more European sounding first names to balance it out. We also wanted names that were traditional, but not too common.
For a girl we had already decided on Meredith. I have a friend named Meredith and have always loved the name. Thankfully Skip agreed 100%. {that was easy!}
For a boy we had always talked about naming him Keith {after my dad's dad}. And we were happy with that decision until I was about 6 months pregnant and began to change my mind. I still liked the name Keith a lot, but I just couldn't get the name Derek out of my head. It just seemed so perfect to me and really flowed well with our last night.
But here's the problem.....we were 100% going to name our daughter Meredith. Could we really name our son Derek? Could we really name our kids after the main characters on Grey's Anatomy?
So we decided that we would name the baby Meredith if she was a girl, and make a game time decision between Derek and Keith if it was a boy. Thankfully Little M was a girl and no decision had to be made!
Now, for future baby names..here's the problem....what if we have a boy next? I'm still back in that whole Grey's Anatomy conundrum. I still don't know what we'll do...either another game time decision, or maybe we should come up with another name entirely.
Or maybe we'll get lucky and have another girl, because we have another girl name all picked out. Charlotte Grace. I think it's beautiful, old-fashioned but making a come-back, and flows nicely with Meredith. I'll guess we'll just have to wait and see!
haha, ah the baby naming conundrum. Seven months and Baby M still remains nameless! Mostly due in part to my husband's inability to just give up the reins and agree with me! I absolutely love the name Charlotte. That was our number one choice if Baby Boy happened to be Baby Girl! I always loved the nickame "Charlie" for a girl.. so our baby girl's name (if there ever is one!) will be Charlotte Allen (after my Dad!) We also loved Kennedy Allen and Hubs' favorite pick was Leigh (although I vetoed it immediately...) Haha.. too funny :)
ReplyDeleteI have sooooo much catching up to do here after not having working internet for almost a week! I saw this on Kelly's blog and love talking baby names!
ReplyDeleteI would say who cares if you have a Merideth and Derek! If you love it and the names flow, go for it! 10 years from now will people even remember Grey's Anatomy? It breaks my heart to even say that being that I love the show!
But I might be the wrong person to ask because my husband is Brad and his sister is Jennifer and our last names is Pitts. Sooooo close to Brad and Jennifer Pitt when it was. lol. And Preston is Preston James and about half way through my pregnancy realized that I'd taken Britney Spears' sons middle names and put them together to make Preston's name not even thinking about it!
Oh and I just realized Preston is also a Grey's Anatomy name! Preston Burke! If we ever get together, we'll have almost a whole team of Drs! Ha!
Hahahaha...oh how I love Der & Mer, but I don't think I could name my children after them either. :)It's so hard though, because I have an association with pretty much every name out there. When I was pregnant, every time Matt would suggest a name, I'd say something like, "No, I knew a {insert name here} in the 5th grade and she always got in trouble in class. Can't do it." I think he got really irritated with me after a while. :)
ReplyDeleteMeredith is super cute though!! Love that name.