Adrienne's Guest Post - Reading to Children
I was so excited when Adrienne volunteered to be a guest blogger for me this week. She has a beautiful blog and shares so many different things with her readers. When she and I were brainstorming about what she would write about, Adrienne brought up the topic of the importance of reading to children. As a former teacher I thought it was the perfect idea!! So read on about Adrienne's tips and make sure to leave her some love at the end!
Hi! I’m Adrienne, author of La Vita e Bella filling in for Mandy today! I thought I would share a few insights about the importance of reading to children.
The Importance of Reading to Children
As a teacher I am faced daily of getting children excited about reading. Sometimes it’s not easy and most of that lack of motivation comes from not being encouraged by the other adults in their life to read. Sure, sometimes it’s the child and the true lack of interest on their part. However, as we all know, reading is fundamental and the building block of so much that is tied to learning.
There are many ways to engage your child in learning even from the time they are infants even when they are still growing in mommy’s tummy. I’ve done my best to provide a list of some tips that may help and offer some insight.
1. Read too or with your child every night; this includes while they are still in the womb. Studies have shown to have great cognitive effect on their development.
2. Try to learn what interests your child about the story. Ask questions to expand their thinking such as; What do you like about this story? Is the story trying to teach us something?
3. As they grow up, make time to explore your local library. Spend time attending events such as children’s story hour and check out new books every two weeks or so. This is completely free and also teaches children about the importance of taking care of something on loan.
4. Create an at home library which is easy by attending book sales or asking for books as gifts.
5. Read yourself! When children see their parents read, they may want to too!
6. Ask your child’s teacher about new childrens’ authors or new books. Teachers generally know about new books coming up.
Hope this helps!
Adrienne
Hi! I’m Adrienne, author of La Vita e Bella filling in for Mandy today! I thought I would share a few insights about the importance of reading to children.
The Importance of Reading to Children
As a teacher I am faced daily of getting children excited about reading. Sometimes it’s not easy and most of that lack of motivation comes from not being encouraged by the other adults in their life to read. Sure, sometimes it’s the child and the true lack of interest on their part. However, as we all know, reading is fundamental and the building block of so much that is tied to learning.
There are many ways to engage your child in learning even from the time they are infants even when they are still growing in mommy’s tummy. I’ve done my best to provide a list of some tips that may help and offer some insight.
1. Read too or with your child every night; this includes while they are still in the womb. Studies have shown to have great cognitive effect on their development.
2. Try to learn what interests your child about the story. Ask questions to expand their thinking such as; What do you like about this story? Is the story trying to teach us something?
3. As they grow up, make time to explore your local library. Spend time attending events such as children’s story hour and check out new books every two weeks or so. This is completely free and also teaches children about the importance of taking care of something on loan.
4. Create an at home library which is easy by attending book sales or asking for books as gifts.
5. Read yourself! When children see their parents read, they may want to too!
6. Ask your child’s teacher about new childrens’ authors or new books. Teachers generally know about new books coming up.
Hope this helps!
Adrienne
Love these tips! I always felt weird reading to my belly, so I did it on very rare occasion. But I also "talk" for a living so I felt it was a good compromise. Right now I feel silly reading to a 5 month old, but she digs chewing on the books and turns a few pages, so I'm sure she's getting some good cognitive development in there somewhere! I can't wait until we can go to the library together!
ReplyDeleteThis is awesome!! I have always loved reading to my girls- we read 4 books every night as part of our bedtime routine- they each choose two- hehe! So much fun!!
ReplyDeleteWe read a ton with our little girl and it is definitely paying off. At 15 months, reading books is her favourite activity. She often climbs up in her chair with books and "reads" outloud to herself for 20-30 minutes at a time. From the time she was very young (as in 3-4 months old) I could tell she loves books. It's true, it's never too early to start!
ReplyDeletelove this post. I truly believe in reading to kids early. I was the kid who was always taken to library classes and love going still! And another great way to get reading is to have them read out loud to mom while she makes dinner. So easy!
ReplyDelete