Britt's Guest Post - Flying with an Infant...While Pregnant!

I'm so excited to close out my week of guest bloggers with Britt!  She's in the "mom of two girls club" as well, so we have lots in common.  Her blog is one of my favorites to read, and I guarantee you will laugh out loud and sympathize with her following story about flying with an infant...while pregnant.  She has definitely scared me off from flying with my girls till they're in high school!!


Hi everyone! My name is Britt and I blog over at Gettin' Fritzy With It.  So you want to know a little about me, right? I'll keep this short and sweet mkay? I'm 25, a wifey, momma to 2 little girls, Lidia and Carly, (1 year and 11 days apart.... omygawd right?) Part-time worker, Part-time SAHM, beginner DIY'er, and this year my goal is to get into photography and couponing... We shall see! Oh, and here's my family...
Anyway, I thought it'd be fun (or not so fun in my case) to tell you about my experiences with flying home out of the Omaha airport.... with children. Sounds fun already, right? Well first things first... I HATE FLYING. Add kids in to the mix and you have a full blown disaster, huh?
So let's talk about my first experience flying out of the Omaha airport. It was back in December of 2009. I was flying to visit my dad, with my 5-month old, while pregnant with my second baby. Oh, and I was alone. Anyway, the flight there went fine. Lidia slept and I tried to dream of rainbows and unicorns so I didn't freak out about flying, and all was well in the world. The flight back? Different story.
Here's the rundown:
1. We missed our flight. Never fly out of a small airport and be 5 MINUTES late. They will not let you check in. Awesome, right? So yeah, we missed the flight and were delayed about 3 hours.
2. I was pregnant and sick, hauling luggage and a baby around by myself, and going to the bathroom with all of the above on my lap... during our layover in Minnesota. Oh yes, and then our flight was delayed another 2 hours.
3. We finally landed in Omaha and had a 2 hour drive home on top of everything. Then we had to take a shuttle to get to my car. Well it was winter and it had snowed soooo... what do you know? My car was frozen shut and it took another hour to get the ice off the windows. But we made it home eventually!
Fun trip, right? Well the next one gets better.
We took a trip to visit my husband's dad at the end of November of this year... all four of us. We were flying out of Omaha and once again, the drive to Omaha and the flight were a piece of cake. The flight back? Awful. I'll break it down for you again...
1. I had a freakout during take-off and sat with my head between my sweaty hands. All the while, Lidia is screaming, "Yay! I'm flying! Look at the lights momma!" and Carly is crying and restless because she's so tired.
2. I get a glass of wine and think life is just grand, until the initial decent. I hate landing. I once again, started my "flying regimen" of freaking out and "knowing" my life is going to end until we land and, of course, are still alive.
3. Then we go to wait for our luggage, when I get the biggest bloody nose known to man. I was in the bathroom at the airport, with the kiddos, for a good 30-45 minutes trying to get it to stop. Annnnddd... I'm pretty sure whoever cleaned that bathroom might have thought it was a murder scene from all the blood. Not joking. It was gross.
4. Lastly, we get on that lovely shuttle back to our car and it had snowed... again. It took awhile to scrape off our car... again. It was also icy and the usual 2 hour trip home, took us over 4 hours! We had to drive 35 miles an hour on the interstate in the middle of the night. It was 2am when we finally got home. Yep. Sucked.
So the moral to my story? Although, flying out of Omaha may be cheaper, it is always a disaster! In my case at least! Thanks Mandy for having me! Hope everyone had a great New Years! Happy 2012!

Comments

  1. Yay! I love it! and I love your intro! Youre one of my favs too lady! Cant wait for your guest post soon :)

    Hope hubby had a great bday party!! I'm sure it was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips! Not going to lie...I'm a little terrified to fly with our baby:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Coming Out too...Will You?

I Will Fight You Pregnancy Hormones

It's time to say goodbye...