Homemade Laundry Detergent
This post is a perfect example about why I should blog about things as soon as I think about them/do them.
A few weeks ago I came across Heather's blog post about how she made laundry detergent. It was the first one I'd seen that was simple and straight forward. I'd never really thought about making my own laundry detergent before, but after reading how easy it was for Heather, I had to give it a try {and yes her container is WAY cuter than mine, so follow her lead instead!}
I told Skip about my plan, and after him laughing at me for 10 minutes and muttering things about us not being pioneers, Charlie and I headed out to the store. {of course I had pictures of each item and the whole process, but my phone died the day after I took them and I lost all those pictures, so you'll have to deal with the one I've got!}
Ingredients
1. One bar of Fels Naptha {or any laundry soap will do}
2. One box of Borax
3. One box of Arm&Hammer Washing soda
{I don't know what size box it was, I just grabbed the largest sizes I could find at the supermarket}
4. One plastic container with a lid to store it in
Here is what you do.
1. Grate the bar of laundry soap into a bowl. I just used my hand food grater.
2. Mix the box of Borax with the box of Washing soda.
3. Mix in the grated soap.
4. Poor the whole thing into a resealable container.
DONE. Seriously, that was it. It took me all of 10 minutes to complete the whole process. And I did the math at the time, and the homemade stuff is cheaper than buying it pre-made.
You only have to use about 2 tablespoons of the powder for each load. My clothes have come out just as clean as always! It doesn't really have a scent to it, but I've always used Purex crystals as a freshener, so mine still smell amazing!
I loved this because it was so simple and easy. And it is nice to know exactly what I'm using to wash all our clothes!
Do you make your own laundry detergent? Are there better formulas out there?
A few weeks ago I came across Heather's blog post about how she made laundry detergent. It was the first one I'd seen that was simple and straight forward. I'd never really thought about making my own laundry detergent before, but after reading how easy it was for Heather, I had to give it a try {and yes her container is WAY cuter than mine, so follow her lead instead!}
I told Skip about my plan, and after him laughing at me for 10 minutes and muttering things about us not being pioneers, Charlie and I headed out to the store. {of course I had pictures of each item and the whole process, but my phone died the day after I took them and I lost all those pictures, so you'll have to deal with the one I've got!}
Ingredients
1. One bar of Fels Naptha {or any laundry soap will do}
2. One box of Borax
3. One box of Arm&Hammer Washing soda
{I don't know what size box it was, I just grabbed the largest sizes I could find at the supermarket}
4. One plastic container with a lid to store it in
Here is what you do.
1. Grate the bar of laundry soap into a bowl. I just used my hand food grater.
2. Mix the box of Borax with the box of Washing soda.
3. Mix in the grated soap.
4. Poor the whole thing into a resealable container.
DONE. Seriously, that was it. It took me all of 10 minutes to complete the whole process. And I did the math at the time, and the homemade stuff is cheaper than buying it pre-made.
I loved this because it was so simple and easy. And it is nice to know exactly what I'm using to wash all our clothes!
Do you make your own laundry detergent? Are there better formulas out there?

I've seen lots of posts on blogs and on Facebook about homemade laundry detergent, and I'm super tempted to give it a try. It may be time to bite the bullet!
ReplyDelete