The Fear
September 11, 2001 changed everything about my world. Happening so close to home, I lived in fear of another attack for a long time. I never truly feel safe when I fly. I feel a heightened sense of alert whenever I'm in NYC. I always glance to the sky when a plane seems to be flying just a little too low.
For seven years following, I sent boy after boy off to war. My cousin, friends, my fiance. I knew someone in Iraq or Afghanistan at all times. I was gripped by fear every single day {the worst, obviously, being when Skip was over there}. I lived in fear of a phone call, that something had happened to one of "my boys". Every day I wondered if that was the last letter from them, the last phone call, the last email. It was a fear that took me a long time to get over, even after they had all come home.
My husband is a cop. Again I live in fear of a phone call, that something has happened to him. I've gotten that phone call, so my fears are not unfounded. It's a fear my children will have to grow up with, though thankfully they are too young yet to understand. It is a fear I have learned to live with. It's not a 'parayzing, in your face all day' kind of fear, but an underlying, constant, slightly nudgy kind of fear.
So the thing is, I know fear. I've confronted it, lived with it, overcome it. I've been constantly reminded at how precious life is, and really live my life enjoying each moment, making the most of them. I thank God every single night for the time He has blessed me with my loved ones.
But the shooting in Newtown last Friday has rocked me to my core. I can't stop watching the news coverage, tears streaming down my face. I feel like if I hurt enough for them, it will help take away some of the pain the families are feeling.
We were going to take the girls to the mall this weekend to see Santa, but I just couldn't. I was afraid.
I was a student from age 3-22. I was a teacher for three years. Emmy has been going to school since September. But yesterday morning I was scared to bring my little girl to school. The fear, the anxiety, was almost overwhelming. And I was not the only one. I know people who kept their kids at home. The parking lots and morning drop-off were somber, everyone glancing around, making sure everything was okay. Extra security measures were being worked on at the school.
Skip kept reassuring me, that everything was okay, that we were as safe as we were on Friday morning before this tragedy occur ed.
But in my heart I don't believe that. Yes, there have been mass shootings in our country before. And while at each one I would pause, mourning the victims, shaking my head at the horrible senselessness of it all, I was never really that afraid. I was a little more vigilant, but nothing like this. So what's different.
Friday morning I woke up in a world filled with crazy people who will do horrible, terrible, unforgivable acts. I woke up in a world that is not always safe. I woke up in a world where tomorrow is never guaranteed.
But Saturday morning I woke up in a world where a person thought it was okay to murder woman and children. Women and children. The ones who are supposed to evacuate first, the ones who are supposed to be protected. It's like everything I ever knew is changed now. Because if one person can think this way, how many others are there?
How am I supposed to raise my girls in a world like this? How am I supposed to get up every morning and trust that we'll be okay at school, the supermarket, the mall? I know we're not supposed to let "them" win. We're not supposed to change our lives. We're supposed to remember that the world is mostly good and these things are rare. My brain knows this.
But how do you shake the fear?
AP has put together a great post of links on how you can donate and help the victims and their families.
Also, go check out my guest post for Lindsey today!
For seven years following, I sent boy after boy off to war. My cousin, friends, my fiance. I knew someone in Iraq or Afghanistan at all times. I was gripped by fear every single day {the worst, obviously, being when Skip was over there}. I lived in fear of a phone call, that something had happened to one of "my boys". Every day I wondered if that was the last letter from them, the last phone call, the last email. It was a fear that took me a long time to get over, even after they had all come home.
My husband is a cop. Again I live in fear of a phone call, that something has happened to him. I've gotten that phone call, so my fears are not unfounded. It's a fear my children will have to grow up with, though thankfully they are too young yet to understand. It is a fear I have learned to live with. It's not a 'parayzing, in your face all day' kind of fear, but an underlying, constant, slightly nudgy kind of fear.
So the thing is, I know fear. I've confronted it, lived with it, overcome it. I've been constantly reminded at how precious life is, and really live my life enjoying each moment, making the most of them. I thank God every single night for the time He has blessed me with my loved ones.
But the shooting in Newtown last Friday has rocked me to my core. I can't stop watching the news coverage, tears streaming down my face. I feel like if I hurt enough for them, it will help take away some of the pain the families are feeling.
We were going to take the girls to the mall this weekend to see Santa, but I just couldn't. I was afraid.
I was a student from age 3-22. I was a teacher for three years. Emmy has been going to school since September. But yesterday morning I was scared to bring my little girl to school. The fear, the anxiety, was almost overwhelming. And I was not the only one. I know people who kept their kids at home. The parking lots and morning drop-off were somber, everyone glancing around, making sure everything was okay. Extra security measures were being worked on at the school.
Skip kept reassuring me, that everything was okay, that we were as safe as we were on Friday morning before this tragedy occur ed.
But in my heart I don't believe that. Yes, there have been mass shootings in our country before. And while at each one I would pause, mourning the victims, shaking my head at the horrible senselessness of it all, I was never really that afraid. I was a little more vigilant, but nothing like this. So what's different.
Friday morning I woke up in a world filled with crazy people who will do horrible, terrible, unforgivable acts. I woke up in a world that is not always safe. I woke up in a world where tomorrow is never guaranteed.
But Saturday morning I woke up in a world where a person thought it was okay to murder woman and children. Women and children. The ones who are supposed to evacuate first, the ones who are supposed to be protected. It's like everything I ever knew is changed now. Because if one person can think this way, how many others are there?
How am I supposed to raise my girls in a world like this? How am I supposed to get up every morning and trust that we'll be okay at school, the supermarket, the mall? I know we're not supposed to let "them" win. We're not supposed to change our lives. We're supposed to remember that the world is mostly good and these things are rare. My brain knows this.
But how do you shake the fear?
AP has put together a great post of links on how you can donate and help the victims and their families.
Also, go check out my guest post for Lindsey today!
For me, I shake the fear when I take action. As you are doing - taking your child to school, organizing donations for the funerals in Newtown, blogging and sharing information. Ann Curry reminded us of a quote from Mr. Rogers on her page, "Fred Rogers once said that when he saw scary things in the news as a boy, his mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.'" You don't have to look any further than in the mirror or across the table to your husband. Both of you are "Helpers"! And there are millions out there like you. We all need to put the emphasis and praise on the Helpers and stop glorifying those who are the opposite. Love you!
ReplyDeleteHi! I found your blog from your guest post. It's nice to meet you. I enjoy reading your posts. I have three little ones, married my husband when I was 22, and he's active duty Army (for now).
ReplyDeleteIt really has become a scary world. It's not that I am afraid so much as I am afraid for my children. Yesterday bringing my son to school I was scanning the parking lot and the hallways for possible dangers. I am afraid to go to the movies now too. I have no idea how to shake the fear either.
I look forward to reading more from you :)
Hi! I found your blog from your guest post. It's nice to meet you. I enjoy reading your posts. I have three little ones, married my husband when I was 22, and he's active duty Army (for now).
ReplyDeleteIt really has become a scary world. It's not that I am afraid so much as I am afraid for my children. Yesterday bringing my son to school I was scanning the parking lot and the hallways for possible dangers. I am afraid to go to the movies now too. I have no idea how to shake the fear either.
I look forward to reading more from you :)
Having a brother that went to Afghanistan I can relate to that constant fear and worry. I still don't feel like I have completely come to terms with it even though he has been back for several years at this point. I can't imagine the pain these people are feeling that their young child, wife, sister, etc were taken away from them. It's just beyond words how upsetting it is. Thank you for the links to help the families of victims.
ReplyDeleteI feel the exact same way you do. 9-11 changed me. It made me the pessimistic, scared girl I am now. After 9-11 I didn't go to school for like a week...I can't imagine what would happen if I was in school NOW. Fear is not a good way to live, but when people are giving us a reason to live this way...I can't really help it. So sad :(
ReplyDeleteWell said!! I told my husband I would homeschool our children and even when I am public it is hard not to look around and have my gaurd up at ALL TIMES? Stay by exits? Glad I am not the only ones with these fears!
ReplyDeleteI can't watch the news anymore. I can't listen to the horror story or see those sweet, innocent faces anymore. I can't think about this even without puffing up with emotion and I just can't imagine what these families are going through. It was hard for me to take my daughter to daycare too. I don't understand why we have to keep suffering through these tragic events. After this, though, I'm pretty sure I will be home schooling my children.
ReplyDelete