The Longest Story Ever Written About a Table

When Skip and I first got married, we bought a tiny little one bedroom condo. Neither of us had moved out of our parents house yet {we were only 22} so we didn't have any furniture to bring to our new place.  We bought a bed right after we closed on the place, and that was all we had for longer than I'd like to admit.  We ate picnics on the floor and shared the two camping chairs we had with friends when they came over.  It was such a fun, special time.

One day Skip had to pick up some papers for Shiba at the vet.  When he was done he wandered into this old antique store up the street.  Inside he found a glass and marble dining table and four white chairs to go with it.  He brought me there the next day to show me and see if I liked it.  To be honest?  It really wasn't my style at all, but Skip was so excited about picking it out that I could not say no.  It was a good price as well, and we figured the glass top would help open up the dining space in our little place. 



So we've had this antique glass dining table forever.  And if something's not broke, I don't fix it.  But we don't have an eat-in kitchen in this house, so this is our only table to eat at, do crafts with the girls at.  Definitely not a match for Emmy's glue sticks.  The finger prints were driving.me.crazy!  And most importantly, the glass was just sitting on top of the marble, with nothing but the weight anchoring it.  You could easily move the glass back and forth.  Not safe.  So Skip and I decided it was time to get another table.

After months of trying to sell it on Craigslist, the place we bought it from agreed to buy it back.  So I ordered a new table and chairs.  New chairs came.  Old table went byebye {well in the garage because the store is refusing to call us back now}.  A week after we're supposed to get the new table passes.  After hounding Fed Ex forever, we finally got a call two weeks ago.  MY DINING ROOM TABLE GOT BURNED UP IN A TRACTOR TRAILER FIRE!  I cannot make this stuff up people.  So we ordered another one and waiting another week for it to be delivered.

Finally, last Thursday it was delivered.  I wanted to hug the delivery guy, don't worry I didn't.  We were all so  excited about it and immediately started putting it together.  Emmy turned out to be the most adorable little helper. 

Before we had to put Charlie to bed, the table was done.  I was practically giddy to raise it up and test it out.  So we flipped it over and started putting the chairs around it.  It was gorgeous and beautiful.....and a little too tall.  You have got to be kidding me!  It was my own fault because the website clearly listed the dimensions.  I just didn't realize it was going to be 2" higher than a normal table.  Which Skip thought was fine, but the girls and I, being so little, it was definitely a challenge.
Nice table...too tall

Thankfully  my dad is super handy and saved the day!  He came over yesterday and took the two extra inches off the bottom of the table and hung a chandelier my parents gave us!  I'm totally in love with it all.  I finally feel like we have a real dining room.  We've only been living here almost five years, no big deal.







Now if the store will just call us back and we can finally be rid of our old table!  Anyone want it?!?!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Coming Out too...Will You?

I Will Fight You Pregnancy Hormones

It's time to say goodbye...