How-to Survive the Newborn Days

This is a guest post I shared on Pam's blog recently, but I wanted to make sure to have it on here as well.  Pam had asked me to share some tips I had for new moms....and this is what I came up with!
 

As a mom to two kids, I'm obviously an expect on babies.  Hahahahahaha. Yeah right.  I don't even think Mrs. Duggar would call herself an expert. 

But I do think I have some great tips to pass on to all you soon-to-be and new moms out there.  These are some more real life tips...not something you'll find in What to Expect.


{one} Invest in some larger than your normal size clothes to wear once you bring that sweet baby home.  You don't be able to fit into your old clothes yet, and I tried to avoid still wearing maternity clothes post-delivery.  But some jeans in one {or two or three if you're me} sizes up from your normal size, will actually make you feel a bit better about yourself.

{two} Fill up your DVR, or pick out a new series to watch on Netflix.  There will be lots and lots of feedings during the night.  Watching TV helped me stay away.

{three}  Just because your husb doesn't have the milk makers, doesn't mean he can't help out during those middle of the night wake-ups.  Have him get up, change the baby's diaper, then bring that little bundle of joy to you to feed.  Those few extra moments always helped me run to the bathroom, put on my glasses, get the TV ready, etc.

{four} Even if you're comfortable breast feeding around friends and family {or are bottle feeding} feign the excuse "the baby needs quiet" and go escape to your room to feed the little one for a bit.  There will be lots of people stopping by and it can get pretty overwhelming at times.  So make sure to give yourself a few moments of peace with the baby before faces the masses again.

{five} Remember when people would wait on you while you were pregnant?  Well there is no harm in rocking that post-partum as well.  You are going to be in pain and discomfort, trust me.  Allowing your husband, mom, best friend, etc to make you lunch, run out and get your that cupcake you're craving. 

{six} Practice the ever important "Smile and Nod".  People {a lot of whom don't even have kids} are going to be throwing tons of parenting advice at you.  Don't engage them or try to defend your decisions to them.  Just smile and nod, and then continue parenting the way  you feel is best for your child.

{seven} Mylicon drops.  Buy them in bulk.  Give them at every feeding.  Trust me on this one.

{eight} Snuggle that sweet baby as much as you want.  You will not spoil it, and they grow up way faster than you want.

{nine} This one may seem like TMI, but it has to be said.  If you have a natural delivery, make sure you lean forward when you have to use the ladies room.  You'll save yourself a lot of pain. 


Now go snuggle those sweet babies!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Coming Out too...Will You?

I Will Fight You Pregnancy Hormones

It's time to say goodbye...