The First Cut is the Deepest
I think Emmy had her first little hair trim either just before, or just after she turned 1. It was always falling in her eyes, so I had to trim it up a bit.
She got her first real big girl hair cut just before she turned 2 {actually the day we took her was the day after I found out I was pregnant with Charlie!} She was pretty good at sitting still, and was so good at the salon.
I really am not a fan of bangs on my girls though, so I grew out Emmy's and refused to give them to Charlie. So that pushed back the time I'd have to get her hair cut the first time. Charlie's hair has always grown pretty fast though, so as we passed year one, then year two, now inching closer to year three, her hair grew pretty long. And gorgeous let me tell you. Seriously, I have such hair envy of my kids. Her hair was the perfect color with natural highlights, gorgeous wake-up with curls, and it even seemed naturally layered!
The only downside to the length {it's hard to see in these pictures, but it was half way down her back} is that it would get knotted so badly in the back. The other night there was a knot the size of my fist, no joke. And if there's one thing in the world that Charlie really doesn't like, it's having her hair brushed out. So I knew it was time to give it a trim.
I decided to do it myself. Not because I really know what I'm doing, but I knew she would scream and fuss if I took her somewhere to get it done. So armed with my scissors, my assistant Emmy, her favorite TV show, and some chocolate cookies, we tackled the task at hand.
It was all going okay until Charlie moved to the right just as my scissors were going to the left. What was going to be just 2-3 inches off, now turned into a bob. Whoops.
I would be lying if I said I didn't shed a few tears that night. Since I have never cut her hair, the ends were still her baby hairs! The ones she was born with! And with her third birthday looming in the near future, it made me a little nostalgic.
But those feelings were quickly erased when I saw Charlie's reaction to her hair. Girlfriend loved it!! Seriously. She is obsessed with running her hands through it and looking in the mirror. "Mama, I love my new hairs. I look fabulous!" She yells. Cutest thing ever.
Isn't that the way most things are with parenting? Kids are ready to move on to the next thing, while the parents step back with tears in their eyes, not quite ready to let go.
She got her first real big girl hair cut just before she turned 2 {actually the day we took her was the day after I found out I was pregnant with Charlie!} She was pretty good at sitting still, and was so good at the salon.
I really am not a fan of bangs on my girls though, so I grew out Emmy's and refused to give them to Charlie. So that pushed back the time I'd have to get her hair cut the first time. Charlie's hair has always grown pretty fast though, so as we passed year one, then year two, now inching closer to year three, her hair grew pretty long. And gorgeous let me tell you. Seriously, I have such hair envy of my kids. Her hair was the perfect color with natural highlights, gorgeous wake-up with curls, and it even seemed naturally layered!
The only downside to the length {it's hard to see in these pictures, but it was half way down her back} is that it would get knotted so badly in the back. The other night there was a knot the size of my fist, no joke. And if there's one thing in the world that Charlie really doesn't like, it's having her hair brushed out. So I knew it was time to give it a trim.
I decided to do it myself. Not because I really know what I'm doing, but I knew she would scream and fuss if I took her somewhere to get it done. So armed with my scissors, my assistant Emmy, her favorite TV show, and some chocolate cookies, we tackled the task at hand.
It was all going okay until Charlie moved to the right just as my scissors were going to the left. What was going to be just 2-3 inches off, now turned into a bob. Whoops.
I would be lying if I said I didn't shed a few tears that night. Since I have never cut her hair, the ends were still her baby hairs! The ones she was born with! And with her third birthday looming in the near future, it made me a little nostalgic.
But those feelings were quickly erased when I saw Charlie's reaction to her hair. Girlfriend loved it!! Seriously. She is obsessed with running her hands through it and looking in the mirror. "Mama, I love my new hairs. I look fabulous!" She yells. Cutest thing ever.
Isn't that the way most things are with parenting? Kids are ready to move on to the next thing, while the parents step back with tears in their eyes, not quite ready to let go.
I now the feeling about the hair, when you cut it you feel like a lost!! but thank God she loves it!! she looks so cute!!
ReplyDeleteShe looks so cute!!! I have hair envy of your girls too ;)
ReplyDeleteAh this is so cute!! I love it!
ReplyDeleteCutest little hair cuts!
ReplyDelete